Egges dancing upon a Staffe

This little snippet is an advertisement from 1634 detailing forthcoming entertainments at Court.

This present day shall bee showne rare dancing on the Ropes, Acted by his Majesties servants, Wherein an Irish Boy of eight yeares old doth vault on the high rope the like was never seene: And one Mayd of fifteene yeares of age, and another Girle of foure yeares of age, doe dance on the low Rope.  And the said Girle of foure yeares of age doth turne on the Stage, and put in fourescore threds into the eye of a Needle.  And other rare Acrobatics of body, as vaulting and tumbling on the Stage, and Egges dancing upon a Staffe, with other rare varietyes of Dancing, the like hath not beene seen in the realme of England.  And the merry conceites of Jacke Pudding.

© 2009-2013 All Rights Reserved

10 Comments

• November 12, 2009 - 6:21 pm | Permalink

Merry Andrew?! Sounds like a hangover from the Commedia Dell’Arte. I expect a report by morning…

• November 12, 2009 - 6:01 pm | Permalink

I think we can safely say it’s a stock comic character. Dr Johnson defines them as ‘a zani, a merry Andrew’.
    Is it me or does one question just lead to another? Merry Andrew?

• November 12, 2009 - 3:01 pm | Permalink

Jean Potage?! Do we know if he was just one very famous trickster, or if every European country had its own pudding performer?

• November 12, 2009 - 2:58 pm | Permalink

Good grief. Thanks for delving into him, so to speak. Swallowing yards of black pudding? What other pudding tricks could there be? Balancing a trifle? Juggling custard? The past is a very strange place.

• November 12, 2009 - 2:58 pm | Permalink

Oh-oh… ‘The Dutchman calls him Pickel-herringë, the Germans Hans Wurst (John Sausage), the Frenchman Jean Potage, the Italian Macaro’ni, and the English Jack Pudding.’

Jean Potage!

• November 12, 2009 - 2:55 pm | Permalink

You sparked my interest so I looked for more on Jack Pudding.
    ‘A buffoon who performed pudding tricks’. Dare I ask?
    Swallowing a number of yards of black pudding is apparently one… deep throat?

• November 12, 2009 - 10:33 am | Permalink

What I would have given to be a flye on the wall…

• November 12, 2009 - 10:14 am | Permalink

It’s the “merry conceites of Jacke Pudding” that I think I’d most look forward to!

• November 12, 2009 - 10:06 am | Permalink

I agree. This wipes the floor with Dancing on Ice.

• November 12, 2009 - 10:04 am | Permalink

’tis a pity that Youtube was not available in 1634

• Comments are closed.

All original content on these pages is fingerprinted and certified by Digiprove

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: